Further tests on women’s bodies

Emergency crews in protective suitsEmergency crews in protective suits were at the scene

Experts are to carry out tests on the bodies of two women found dead when emergency services wearing protective suits entered a south-west London flat.

Police said the deaths of the women, found in a second floor flat in Lower Richmond Road, Putney, were not being treated as suspicious.

A neighbour spoke of seeing crews being hosed down and one report said the flat had been “sealed with tape”.

The women have not been named but are thought to be in their 20s.

Emergency services were called to Norman Court just after 1030 BST on Thursday.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus were brought in amid fears that toxic chemicals were involved and residents were asked to stay indoors.

A Metropolitan Police spokesman said the deaths were not being treated as suspicious “at this stage” and no arrests had been made.

Christina Barrett, who lives in a neighbouring house, said she saw a “decontamination unit” and emergency services crew “being hosed down”.

“There was a smell in the air that caught the back of your throat,” she added.

Suzanne Viggers, who lives in the block, said she believed the flat had been rented by one of the women about five months ago.

“Apparently she was supposed to be meeting a friend this morning, but when she didn’t turn up the friend became worried and called the police.”

This article is from the BBC News website. © British Broadcasting Corporation, The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *