Afghanistan blast soldier named

British soldiers in AfghanistanThe soldier was part of a group trying to disrupt insurgent activity in Helmand province

A soldier from 1st Battalion The Royal Irish Regiment killed in Afghanistan on Wednesday was from Northern Ireland, the BBC has learnt.

The soldier was taking part in an operation in the Nad Ali area of Helmand province when his vehicle hit a roadside bomb.

An MoD spokesman said his next of kin had been informed.

The soldier’s death brings the total number of UK personnel killed in Afghanistan since 2001 to 359.

Lt Col David Eastman, spokesman for Task Force Helmand, said the soldier had been part of a group working to disrupt insurgent activity when the blast happened.

“The soldier gave his life pursuing peace and stability for a people that had been dominated by insurgent subjugation, threats and intimidation,” he said.

“We vow to carry on his vital work in the face of such cowardly and indiscriminate attacks.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with his friends and family at this deeply sad time.”

The 1st Battalion The Royal Irish Regiment is based in Tern Hill, Shropshire.

This article is from the BBC News website. © British Broadcasting Corporation, The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *