Two men shot and injured in alley

Two men have been shot and injured in an alley in Spennymoor, County Durham.

A 59-year-old man is being treated in hospital but his injuries are not thought to be life-threatening.

A second man, aged 40, was released after treatment following the shootings which happened just after 1700 BST on Saturday.

Police believe the men were shot at the rear of Clyde Terrace, Spennymoor. Two men are in custody in connection with the incident.

Acting Chief Inspector Tony Avery said he believed the victims had been deliberately targeted and that the wider community was not at risk.

“Incidents of this nature are very unusual and there is nothing to suggest people in the wider community are in danger,” he said.

“Our inquiries are continuing,” Mr Avery added.

This article is from the BBC News website. © British Broadcasting Corporation, The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *