Clegg defends benefit cuts plan

Deputy Prime Minister Nick CleggNick Clegg faces a rough ride from some Lib Dems over planned cuts

Nick Clegg has launched a staunch defence of benefit cuts ahead of the Liberal Dem conference.

In an article for The Times, the deputy PM says welfare should be an “engine of mobility… rather than a giant cheque written by the State to compensate the poor for their predicament”.

Mr Clegg has been under fire from backbench Lib Dems over claims planned cuts target the vulnerable.

But he said the system needed “root and branch reform”.

He said cuts to the welfare budget were “unavoidable” in the current financial climate but, at the same time, “we will be simplifying the current Byzantine benefits system and providing real incentives for people to move off benefits and into work”.

And he vowed that the coalition government would bring “sanity” and “simplicity” to a system everyone knew was “broken”.

Spending review branding

A special BBC News season examining the approaching cuts to public sector spending

The Spending Review: Making It Clear

Mr Clegg is expected to face a rough ride over the planned cuts at his party conference which gets underway in Liverpool at the weekend, with some backbenchers claiming he has broken his promise to ensure they are “fair”.

Lib Dem MP Bob Russell last week forced Mr Osborne to face a Commons grilling after the chancellor revealed his plans for extra cuts, on top of the £11bn already announced in June’s emergency budget, in a BBC interview.

But in his Times article, Mr Clegg makes clear he believes benefit reforms are essential and “profoundly liberal in intent and effect”.

“Welfare needs to become an engine of mobility, changing people’s lives for the better, rather than a giant cheque written by the State to compensate the poor for their predicament.

“Instead of turning the system from a ‘safety net’ into a ‘trampoline’, as Labour promised, people have been stuck on benefits, year in, year out.”

Chancellor George Osborne is expected to unveil “several billion” in extra savings from the welfare budget in his October spending review.

But – in what Labour claimed was a public row about the issue – Work and Pensions Secretary Iain Duncan Smith told MPs on Wednesday that he “simply doesn’t recognise” the figure of £4bn that Mr Osborne indicated to the BBC would be cut, insisting that he was still in negotiations with the Treasury.

Mr Clegg’s interview comes as a report by a new think tank promoting better governance said the deputy PM, who does not have his own department, lacks clout and does not have enough senior civil servants on his staff.

It says the coalition is “working well” at the moment but to prevent it falling apart before its full term more Lib Dem junior ministers and special advisers should be appointed in Downing Street and in government departments.

And it says Mr Clegg’s private office should be “beefed-up” with a top civil servant to run it and “a separate website and visual identity” to make clear to the public what he does.

The report, by the Institute for Government, also says Chief Secretary to the Treasury Danny Alexander is trying to do too much by combining the “mammoth” task of tackling the deficit with his continued role as Lib Dem policy supremo and is clearly “stretched”.

It also warns that because Lib Dem ministers do not control any of the big spending departments they risk being sidelined in key policy-making processes.

This article is from the BBC News website. © British Broadcasting Corporation, The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.

NHS childcare ‘mediocre’ – review

Boy sitting aloneA previous review found gaps in NHS child protection procedures

A huge cultural shift is needed in the NHS to ensure children get the right care, a government-commissioned review says.

The report, by Professor Sir Ian Kennedy, who used to lead the NHS regulator, said services were mediocre.

He called for specialist training for GPs and extra investment in services.

Particular attention also needed to be paid to transferring children into adult services between the ages of 16 and 18, Sir Ian said.

The review was commissioned following the case of Baby P.

The toddler – subsequently named as Peter – had been seen by health services on 35 occasions by the time he died in 2007, aged 17 months and after suffering more than 50 separate injuries.

This included appointments with GPs, health visitors and paediatricians as well as being seen at walk-in centres.

The catalogue of abuse he suffered emerged during a court hearing in 2008 that led to the conviction of his mother, her boyfriend and their lodger for causing his death.

This review was ordered last autumn by the then Health Secretary Andy Burnham.

It is not the first time NHS procedures have been reviewed. Last year the Care Quality Commission carried out a review of child protection procedures following the Baby P case.

It concluded the NHS risked missing another abuse scandal because of gaps in child protection, the health regulator said.

After surveying all 392 trusts in England, the CQC warned a lack of training, poor monitoring and high workloads were commonplace.

That review came after the regulator had already looked at the role of the NHS organisations that came into contact with Baby P, saying they missed valuable opportunities to save his life.

This article is from the BBC News website. © British Broadcasting Corporation, The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.

French nationals seized in Niger

Map of Niger

French civil engineering company Vinci and nuclear energy group Areva have said seven of their employees have been kidnapped in northern Niger.

The group, which reportedly includes five French citizens, was seized near the town of Arlit in the Sahara desert.

Areva operates a uranium mine in the area. A subsidiary of Vinci, Sogea-Satom, is a subcontractor there.

A spokesman for the French foreign ministry said it was doing everything it could to confirm the reports.

“We have received a report on the possible kidnapping of a group of people, some of them French, in Niger,” Bernard Valero told the AFP news agency.

Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, an offshoot of the Islamist militant group, is active in the region and has kidnapped French and other European nationals in the past.

In July, the group said it had executed a 78-year-old French citizen it was holding hostage in Mali after a cross-border raid by the French and Mauritanian armed forces failed to free him.

This article is from the BBC News website. © British Broadcasting Corporation, The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.

Shot Pc battles ‘unfair’ benefit

Pc David RathbandPc David Rathband said after the shooting that he hoped to return to work

The police officer blinded by Raoul Moat has described the level of mobility payment he has been awarded as “unfair”.

Pc David Rathband was shot in the face and chest by the gunman on 4 July.

He revealed on Twitter that it was “somehow not fair” that he had been awarded the lowest band, £18.95 a week.

The Northumbria Police officer is understood to be getting a higher band for the care component of his Disability Living Allowance.

Disability Living Allowance is a tax-free benefit for disabled children and adults who need someone to help look after them, or who have walking difficulties.

It has two components, care and mobility, and is available whether or not the recipient is working.

Pc Rathband wrote on Twitter: “Now ready for battle with the DHSS.

“Been awarded lowest band for mobility. Somehow not fair.”

A spokesman for the department for Work and Pensions said: “We are indebted to Pc Rathband for his bravery and we want to ensure he receives all the benefits he is entitled to.

“For those who require frequent care and supervision, the highest rate of the care component of disability living allowance is awarded to meet their care needs.”

After the shooting, Pc Rathband said that he “bore no malice” towards Moat, who later shot himself in Rothbury, Northumberland, following a week-long manhunt.

He also said he that he was determined to return to duty as a police officer.

This article is from the BBC News website. © British Broadcasting Corporation, The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.

India raises rates for fifth time

Food marketHigh food prices have helped fuel inflation

India’s central bank has raised interest rates by more than expected as it continues to battle high inflation.

The Reserve Bank of India increased its repo rate – the rate at which it lends to banks – to 6% from 5.75%.

It raised the reverse repo rate – the rate at which it borrows from banks – to 5% from 4.5%. Economists had expected a rise to 4.75%.

It is the fifth rate hike this year as India has faced double-digit inflation, although it fell to 8.5% in August.

The fall – from 9.8% the previous month – was partly due to changes in the way it is calculated to include a wider range of consumer goods.

Under the old system, August’s inflation rate would have been 9.5%.

“Inflation remains the dominant concern,” the central bank said.

This article is from the BBC News website. © British Broadcasting Corporation, The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.

Film Council successor considered

Still from the film Tamara Drewe - Momentum Pictures

Industry figures discuss the future of British film

Four parties have been asked by the government to consider taking on the responsibilities of the recently axed UK Film Council, the BBC understands.

The BBC was one body asked to consider taking a lead role in distributing lottery money to film projects.

Channel 4, the British Film Institute and the Film London agency are also believed to have been approached.

Culture minister Ed Vaizey met with key industry figures this week to discuss future public funding of UK film.

Mr Vaizey said the meeting was one of many that would take place before a final decision on future government support is later this autumn.

Related stories

“I want a robust and co-ordinated strategy to promote the UK as the best place to invest in film-making and to provide real support and advice to film-makers and investors alike,” he said.

“I want to make sure that public funds generate value for a wider audience and are focused where they can really make a difference.”

According to the BBC’s arts editor Will Gompertz, the industry itself believes the Arts Council should have a role in film funding.

“Industry insiders say the simplest mechanism would be for the Arts Council to act as the go-between as they’re already a lottery distributor.”

Founded in 2000, the UK Film Council had an annual budget of £15m to invest in British films.

Earlier this week its chief executive John Woodward announced he will be leaving the organisation in November.

This article is from the BBC News website. © British Broadcasting Corporation, The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.

Clinton meets Abbas in peace push

Mahmoud Abbas watches as Benjamin Netanyahu shakes hands with Hillary Clinton in JerusalemMr Netanyahu greeted Mrs Clinton and Mr Abbas against a backdrop that included a Palestinian flag

US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is due to meet Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas in Ramallah, amid renewed Middle East peace talks in the region.

At the end of two days of negotiations, Mr Abbas again said he would walk out of the talks if a partial Israeli ban on settlement building was not renewed.

Despite the ultimatum, US officials insisted that progress was being made.

Meanwhile, Israeli warplanes conducted two separate raids in Gaza, following Palestinian rocket and mortar attacks.

There has been an upturn in violence since the peace talks, which resumed two weeks ago after a 20-month gap.

Israeli and Palestinian leaders made “progress” on the issue of Jewish West Bank settlements during Wednesday’s talks in Jerusalem, US envoy George Mitchell said, without elaborating.

Israeli settlements on occupied landMore than 430,000 settlers in the West Bank and East Jerusalem, alongside 2.5 million Palestinians20,000 settlers live in the Golan HeightsSettlements and the area they take up cover 40% of the West BankThere are about 100 settlements not authorised by the Israeli government in the West BankAn Israeli settlement in close-up In the shadow of an Israeli settlement

Israel has so far refused to renew the restrictions, which are due to expire on 26 September.

But Mr Mitchell said the two leaders had tackled the issues at the heart of their decades-old conflict – Israel’s security, the borders of a future Palestinian state, the fate of Palestinian refugees and the status of Jerusalem.

“The two leaders are not leaving the tough issues to the end of their discussions,” Mr Mitchell said. “We take this as a strong indicator of their belief that peace is possible.”

Nearly half a million Jews live in more than 100 settlements built since Israel’s 1967 occupation of the West Bank and East Jerusalem.

They are held to be illegal under international law, although Israel disputes this.

Mr Mitchell said Mrs Clinton would travel to Jordan later on Thursday for talks with Jordan’s King Abdullah II, while he meets Syrian President Bashar al-Assad in Damascus in an effort to revive Syrian-Israeli peace talks.

As the leaders held talks in Jerusalem, Palestinian militants fired a rocket at the southern port city of Ashkelon, along with several rounds of mortar fire along the Gaza-Israel border, the Israeli military said.

Related stories

In response, the Israeli air force bombed Hamas tunnels in southern Gaza around midday on Wednesday, killing one Palestinian and wounding two.

It followed up with an overnight raid on two suspected weapons caches in the northern and southern Gaza Strip, the military said. Gaza’s governing Hamas movement said one of the sites hit was a soap factory.

The Popular Resistance Committees, a small militant group opposed to the talks, said it was behind the Palestinian militant attacks, which caused no casualties.

Although Hamas militants were not believed to have launched the attacks, Israeli officials accused the group of turning a blind eye to the activities of other factions in the territory that are opposed to the peace talks.

This article is from the BBC News website. © British Broadcasting Corporation, The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.

Cambodia tribunal indicts four

Ieng Sary, 1976 file photoIeng Sary was Pol Pot’s right-hand man

Cambodia’s UN-backed war crimes tribunal has indicted four former Khmer Rouge leaders.

Nuon Cheaf, deputy to Khmer Rouge leader Pol Pot, will stand trial next year, with former head of state Khieu Samphan, former Foreign Minister Ieng Sary, and his wife Ieng Thirith.

They are accused of genocide, torture and religious persecution.

In July former prison chief Duch was found guilty of crimes against humanity.

Duch had admitted overseeing the torture and execution of thousands of men, women and children at the notorious Tuol Sleng prison, and was sentenced to 35 years in prison, reduced by 16 years for time already and because he had been held illegally.

Who were the Khmer Rouge?Maoist regime that ruled Cambodia from 1975-1979 – also known as AngkarFounded and led by Saloth Sar, better known as Pol PotAbolished religion, schools and currency in effort to create agrarian utopiaUp to two million people thought to have died of starvation, overwork or were executedDefeated in Vietnamese invasion in 1979Pol Pot fled and remained free until 1997 – he died a year laterBrutal Khmer Rouge regime

Duch ran Tuol Sleng prison, where “enemies” of the Khmer Rouge regime were sent.

Up to two million people died because of the policies of the Khmer Rouge, which ruled Cambodia from 1975-1979.

Their policies included the evacuation of cities, forced labour in the rice fields and the summary execution of those considered enemies of the revolution.

The group’s top leader, “Brother Number One” Pol Pot, died in 1998.

After the Khmer Rouge were overthrown, Duch disappeared for almost two decades, living under various aliases in north-western Cambodia and converting to Christianity. His chance discovery by an Irish journalist led to his arrest in 1999.

Only about a dozen people who were held at Tuol Sleng are thought to have survived, three of whom are still alive. Up to 17,000 people are believed to have died there.

This article is from the BBC News website. © British Broadcasting Corporation, The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.