UK theatre helps boosts economy

The Victoria Palace TheatreShows such as Billy Elliot have helped draw in the crowds

Tourists who visited the theatre last year helped boost the UK’s economy by £2.8 billion, Visit Britain has said.

The national tourism agency said that 10% of the 30 million overseas tourists who came to the UK in 2009, went to see a stage show.

Visit Britain’s Sandie Dawe said: “‘This report shows that British theatre is making a massive contribution to Britain’s economy.”

London was the most popular area, with 2.2 million people watching a show.

A total of £1.9 billion was spent in the capital on trips involving the theatre, hotels, restaurants and other activities.

The report also revealed that, although going to the theatre was not the main reason tourists visited the UK, if they did see a show, they were far more likely to recommend the country as a holiday destination.

Musicals drew in the biggest crowd last year, with 64% of overseas visitors seeing shows like Chicago and Billy Elliot.

Plays attracted 25% of visitors, whilst 3% chose the ballet and 1% attended the opera.

Ms Dawes said that the “exceptionally competitive exchange rates” helped to get tourists through the theatre doors.

In January, the Society of London Theatre announced that musicals, opera and dance in London’s West End had enjoyed a bumper year, after receipts topped half a billion pounds for the first time.

This article is from the BBC News website. © British Broadcasting Corporation, The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.

‘Mistake’ to let India host Games

An Indian man cycles past a banner for the Commonwealth Games in DelhiIndia has had seven years to prepare for the Games

Australia’s Olympic Committee president has said the Commonwealth Games should not have been awarded to Delhi.

John Coates said the Commonwealth Games Federation lacked the resources to monitor progress and to ensure that construction deadlines were met.

Preparations for the event have been plagued by setbacks, and several nations have delayed their arrival.

A New Zealand cyclist has become the ninth athlete to pull out, citing health and safety fears.

Greg Henderson, who has won four medals at previous Games, cancelled on Friday, a day after four British cyclists withdrew from the October 3-14 competition.

“It is vital that all remedial work that has already started continues with the greatest urgency”

Mike Fennell Commonwealth Games Federation President

On Thursday, the BBC obtained pictures showing flooding, leaking toilets, dirty bathrooms, incomplete apartments and paw prints on beds in the athletes’ village.

The build-up to the event has been marred by construction delays, corruption scandals, a dengue fever outbreak, the collapse of a footbridge near the main stadium, and security fears after Sunday’s shooting of two tourists outside a Delhi mosque.

“The Games shouldn’t have been awarded to Delhi in hindsight,” Australian Olympic Committee president John Coates told Australian radio on Friday.

“The problem is the Commonwealth Games Federation is under resourced. It doesn’t have the ability to monitor the progress of cities in the way the [International] Olympic Committee does.”

Nevertheless, Mr Coates said his country’s team was likely to attend.

The England team has begun arriving in the Indian capital, but they are expected to stay initially in a hotel.

Wales said its athletes would also travel to India as planned, while Scotland said it was “increasingly optimistic” it would take part, too.

But New Zealand and Canada have delayed their arrival.

Friday was supposed to be the day when the first of 7,000 athletes began arriving in Delhi.

But Commonwealth Games Federation President Mike Fennell warned urgent improvements were still required to the athletes’ village.

“It is vital that all remedial work that has already started continues with the greatest urgency,” he said in a statement on Friday.

“We must ensure that a suitable environment is provided to ensure the welfare of the athletes and their support staff.”

The first athletes, from India’s team, have just moved into the accommodation.

Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has taken control of the crisis.

He held talks on Thursday night with his sports minister and Delhi officials.

But Games organising committee chairman Suresh Kalmadi, whose team has been mired in corruption allegations, was not asked to attend.

What’s Gone Wrong

Map showing locations in Delhi

Athletes’ village – Indian media reports only 18 of 34 towers are completedYamuna River – flooded in worst monsoon rain for 30 years, leaving pools attracting mosquitoesNehru Stadium – part of false ceiling collapsed in weightlifting areaBridge leading to the Nehru Stadium – collapsed on TuesdayJama Masjid Mosque – Two tourists injured in shooting near mosque, Indian Mujahideen threatens more attacksShivaji Stadium – no longer to be used as a venue because it was not going to be ready in timeYamuna Sports Complex – roof damaged by heavy rain in July

This article is from the BBC News website. © British Broadcasting Corporation, The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.

Dundalk man faces weapons charges

Michael CampbellMichael Campbell from Dundalk is in court in Lithuania

A court in Lithuania is hearing evidence in the trial of a Dundalk man accused of trying to buy weapons and explosives there.

Michael Campbell, 36, from Dundalk was arrested in January 2008 in an international sting against a suspected dissident republican plot.

He allegedly handed 10,000 euro (£8,500) to an undercover Lithuanian agent posing as a weapons supplier.

The Vilnius session was closed to hear evidence from an agent in the sting.

Many British agents participated in the sting.

In February, a prisons inspector travelled to Lithuania to visit Mr Campbell.

This article is from the BBC News website. © British Broadcasting Corporation, The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.

UN holds key talks on food prices

Mozambique bread queuePrice rises recently sparked riots in Mozambique

The UN’s Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) is holding an extraordinary meeting in Rome sparked by global fears about high food prices.

Friday’s meeting will include Russian grain executives. Moscow banned exports after its harvest was hit by drought.

Flooding in Pakistan and China has added to pressure on the market.

Price rises have already sparked riots in Mozambique and are prompting fears of a repeat of the massive price spike of 2007-8.

Related stories

BBC international development correspondent David Loyn says the FAO is not calling this a crisis summit, eager to steady nerves after the Russian export ban.

Experts in Rome will try to find a way to restore stability and head off another food price spike, which caused riots across the world two years ago.

Global grain prices remain at a two-year high and are still rising.

Top FAO officials describe prices as stubbornly high and say the financial crisis is straining the ability of the poor to cope.

The agency also warns that prices in future are likely to be more volatile.

Officials say governments should consider more regulation of food markets and maintaining emergency stocks.

The FAO’s own monthly index of food prices has risen by 25% since early last year.

The UN said of the meeting: “Delegates will share information on recent market instability and examine the role of market information and transparency for crops such as grains and rice.”

Rises will be felt more keenly in developing countries, where food makes up a bigger proportion of household spending.

This article is from the BBC News website. © British Broadcasting Corporation, The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.