European cities hit by protests

An anti-austerity protest in Bucharest, Romania. Photo: 24 September 2010Workers in many EU states demand stable jobs and better social protection

Thousands of people from across the EU are expected to march in Brussels to protest against sweeping austerity measures by many national governments.

The European Trade Union Confederation says its protest could be one of the biggest in Belgium’s capital for years.

The union says EU workers could become the biggest victims of a financial crisis set off by bankers and traders.

A general strike against cuts is expected in Spain and protests are also due to be held in other EU states.

Many governments across the 27-member bloc have been forced to impose punishing cuts in wages, pensions and employment to deal with spiralling debts.

In Greece and the Republic of Ireland, unemployment figures are at their highest level in 10 years, while Spain’s unemployment has doubled in just three years.

In Britain, the government is planning to slash spending by up to 25%, while France has seen angry protests against a planned increase in the minimum retirement age.

The European Trade Union Confederation (Etuc) says it hopes that about 100,000 people from some 30 countries will take part in the Brussels march, which is due to begin at 1100 GMT.

“We didn’t cause this crisis. The bill has to be paid by banks, not by workers”

European Trade Union ConfederationEU austerity drive country by country

Etuc says the protesters will be marching on EU institutions to voice their anger over budget-slashing plans and cuts which “could lead Europe into a recession”.

The union warns that the financial crisis – which it describes as the worst in Europe since the 1930s – has already made 23m people across the EU jobless. It fears that the austerity measures being implemented by various EU government could “result in even more unemployment”.

“We didn’t cause this crisis. The bill has to be paid by banks, not by workers,” Etuc said.

Instead, the union urges governments to guarantee workers stable jobs, strong social protection and better pensions.

Workers in many EU countries are frustrated that they are paying for the mistakes of the banks and the financial sector, the BBC’s Christian Fraser in Brussels reports.

The recovery is still fragile. In some countries it has not even begun, and many fear the cuts could provoke further trouble, our correspondent says.

He adds that in short, it is a debate on austerity versus stimulus, cuts or spending, and the opinions are deeply and bitterly divided.

This article is from the BBC News website. © British Broadcasting Corporation, The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.

Nama warning on ‘worthless land’

Construction sceneLosses in the commercial property sector have badly affected Irish banks

The Irish government’s so-called bad bank has warned NI landowners that what was once viewed as hugely valuable land is now almost worthless.

Peter Stewart, from the National Asset Agency (NAMA) said the ending of a false property boom was going to cause “financial pain”.

Nama was set up by the Irish government in response to the property and banking crisis.

It is set to take over loans relating to hundreds of acres of land here.

Mr Stewart, the head of Nama’s advisory committee on Northern Ireland, said on Wednesday it was likely some of it would be sold back as farm land.

He said Northern Ireland had experienced a property bubble in undeveloped land and investment properties like office blocks.

Mr Stewart said estimates suggest that the normal market for land sales in NI was about £100m in the years 2000 to 2005. But that spiked to £750m in the years 2006 and 2007.

Mr Stewart said that while Nama did not have to sell “today, this month or this year”, it did have to operate to a ten-year time scale.

“Even over such a period of time it is likely that we will see what was previously viewed as potential development land being sold to go back to farmland,” he said.

“For those builders, developers and also land traders and speculators who got caught up in the frenzy, unfortunately there is going to be financial pain.”

In May, it was revealed that up to 150 developers and investors from Northern Ireland were likely to find their loans transferred into Nama.

The National Asset Management Agency was set up to buy and manage mainly bad property loans held by Dublin-based financial institutions.

Its aim is to remove bad or impaired assets from the banks’ balance sheets, allowing them to rebuild their financial strength.

Ultimately that will allow them to start lending again and get credit flowing to businesses and home buyers.

It is also hoped that it will protect or enhance the Irish Republic’s international credit rating.

There had originally been fears that Nama could hold a “fire sale” of Northern Ireland assets but the Irish Republic’s finance minister has assured that will not happen.

This article is from the BBC News website. © British Broadcasting Corporation, The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.

David Miliband quits frontline politics

David Miliband during his brother's speech as Labour leader on Tuesday 28 SeptemberDavid Miliband had been the long-standing favourite to become the next Labour leader

David Miliband is expected to make a statement later about his future, amid growing speculation he will quit front-line politics.

The former foreign secretary has until 1700 BST to decide whether he wants to serve in the next shadow cabinet under his brother Ed, Labour’s new leader.

David lost the party leadership contest despite having a higher percentage of votes from MPs and party members.

The BBC’s Nick Robinson says it would be “so difficult” for him to stay.

Ed Miliband was declared leader at the Labour conference on Saturday and, since losing to his younger brother, David has refused to comment on his future.

He has been praised for his graciousness and generosity in defeat but he appeared annoyed by Ed Miliband’s comments on Iraq during his first speech as leader on Tuesday.

After his brother declared that Labour was “wrong to take Britain into war”, David Miliband was filmed asking the party’s deputy leader Harriet Harman: “You voted for it, why are you clapping?”

The former energy secretary has only been an MP since 2005 and was not part of the government during the invasion of Iraq.

The BBC’s political editor Nick Robinson says David Miliband, and other senior members of the party who voted for the Iraq war in 2003, think it is opportunistic of his brother to use the issue in this way.

“He thinks when his brother marches around and says I am trying to restore trust, he would quite like it if he didn’t restore trust in the Labour Party at the expense of reputations of people who fought in government and worked hard,” he said.

“David Miliband has illustrated in a way why it is so difficult for him to stay in the shadow cabinet. I know in my gut that David Miliband will tell us he is off.”

On Tuesday night, David Miliband’s aide said the former foreign secretary would make a statement on Wednesday afternoon.

The deadline for Labour MPs to nominate themselves for election to the shadow cabinet is 1700 BST.

Ed Miliband, 40, won the leadership ballot of MPs, party members and trade unionists by just 1%.

Since then he has fended off criticism that he owes his leadership to the unions because his brother got a higher percentage of votes from MPs and party members.

During his hour-long speech on Tuesday, he admitted the previous government had made several mistakes, including on Iraq, civil liberties and tuition fees.

But he said a “new generation” was now in charge, and he would be a “responsible” opposition leader and not oppose every proposed spending cut.

Mr Miliband also tried to re-brand himself and shake off the name “Red Ed”, which some papers have taken to calling him after his win, referring to his union support.

He warned while trade unions were important, he had “no truck with overblown rhetoric about waves of irresponsible strikes” and Labour had to be careful not to alienate the public.

This article is from the BBC News website. © British Broadcasting Corporation, The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.

‘Paedophile’ killed ‘after touch’

Robert DaleyRobert Daley was stabbed to death in his home in Stockwell

A teenage girl told her friend she had stabbed an alleged paedophile after he touched her inappropriately, the Old Bailey has heard.

The girl, who was 14 at the time, is on trial alongside a teenage boy, 15, both accused of murdering Robert Daley in Stockwell, south London.

The court has heard that after the killing, the girl, now 15, asked her friend if he could take the knife.

Both of the teenagers deny murdering Mr Daley in April.

Neither defendant can be named because of their age.

In a video of a police interview played to court, the boy said: “She looked nervous.

“She told me she had stabbed him. I didn’t believe her.

“Then she asked me to hold the knife. I said no.”

The suspect told the court he met the girl shortly after Mr Daley was stabbed to death.

The court has previously been told the girl killed Mr Daley after learning he would not be charged for an alleged sex attack on her sister.

The defendant, her 16-year-old sister and a woman had accused Mr Daley of sexual assault, but all three continued to be in contact with him, Jonathan Rees QC, prosecuting, said.

The 14-year-old girl did not make a statement and prosecutors decided not to bring charges in relation to any of the allegations.

The case continues.

This article is from the BBC News website. © British Broadcasting Corporation, The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.

Marksmen ‘feared suicide by cop’

Mark SaundersMark Saunders, 32, was killed at his Chelsea flat after the siege in 2008

Police marksmen surrounding a gun-wielding barrister in a siege in west London were carrying more than 100 guns, an inquest has heard.

A total of 59 highly-trained armed officers were posted around the 32-year-old’s home after he blasted a shotgun through his kitchen window.

But Westminster Coroner’s Court heard that senior officers were keen the area should not be “bristling” with guns.

Mark Saunders was killed at his Chelsea flat after the siege in 2008.

The officers were equipped with an arsenal including high velocity rifles, 9mm Glock self-loading pistols, MP5 carbines, shotguns, Tasers, baton rounds and CS gas.

In court, Nicholas Hilliard QC, for the coroner, asked: “If in this particular situation you can avoid the area bristling with firearms officers, is that something you try to do, if it can be done?”

Inspector Nicholas Bennett, of the Metropolitan Police’s CO19 unit replied: “I certainly would not have any more firearms officers there than I thought were necessary.”

Insp Bennett said Mr Saunders was “never less than high risk” and police were preparing for a long operation.

Asked if the large number of officers was a “surprise”, Insp Bennett said: “At that time we were planning for a protracted incident.

“Although it was apparent there were a great deal of firearms officers there, a great deal were not proactively employed in the operation, but are providing contingencies.”

Mr Saunders, a successful family law specialist, died after police bullets were fired at the end of a five-hour stand-off.

Armed with two shotguns and a large amount of ammunition, he threatened to kill himself and fired several rounds as police told him to give himself up.

The inquest continues.

This article is from the BBC News website. © British Broadcasting Corporation, The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.

‘Historic’ broadcast of super HD

Super Hi Vision camera lens

Click’s Spencer Kelly watched the BBC’s Super Hi Vision broadcast to Tokyo from behind the scenes.

A gig by The Charlatans has been sent to Japan in a first-of-its-kind broadcast of Super Hi-Vision TV.

The technology, 16 times sharper than HDTV, has been developed by Japanese public broadcaster NHK.

The standard could be used on giant public viewing screens, some of which may be in place for the 2012 Olympics.

NHK hope to broadcast in Super Hi-Vision by 2020, although no television currently exists that can fully show off the 7680-by-4320 pixel signal.

The “full HD” currently available means a display of 1920 by 1080 pixels – one-fourth the number of pixels both vertically and horizontally.

Dr Keiichi Kubota, head of research and development at NHK, described the transmission as a “historic moment”.

A trial run of the technology was shown off at a conference in 2008, beaming a live image from City Hall in London to a conference centre in Amsterdam.

Related stories

NHK has since been working to make the cameras significantly smaller and in partnership with the BBC’s Research and Development division has developed methods of compressing the video signals.

At full resolution, those signals are transmitted at a staggering 24Gb/s, and the Super Hi-Vision camera was made possible by NHK’s development of an optical data transmitter inside that can handle the stream.

In Wednesday’s demonstration, a camera – one of just three of its kind in the world – captured a live set by the group The Charlatans.

In an adjacent room, spectators watched the performance on a 103-inch plasma television, also developed by NHK.

A prototype that represents the bleeding edge of television technology, it is still just one-fourth the resolution that the Super Hi-Vision signal contains.

An audience in Tokyo watched the gig on a significantly larger screen; for fans in the UK eager to hear the set, it will be rebroadcast at a later date on 6Music.

NHK is also working to develop the “vision mixer” that will allow the mixing of signals from more than one camera, as well as a recording standard that can take in the mountains of data.

Takahiro Izumoto, a senior engineer for NHK, told BBC News the firm was aiming to be broadcasting in Super Hi-Vision by 2020.

Audience in Tokyo watching Super Hi-Vision broadcastA monitor at Television Centre showed the Tokyo audience watching the gig

“This is the experiment showing we can broadcast from the UK to Japan,” he said.

“In a year, we’ll have a vision mixer and the superimposer [a means to add subtitles], so it will be easy to do a whole production as live coverage.”

BBC R&D also used the broadcast to carry out experiments on 3D coverage, hoping to create shots that give the impression of movement but making use only of a single, fixed Super Hi-Vision camera.

While the Super Hi-Vision technology is still at the experimental stages and no formal agreements have been drawn up, there is some hope it will make an appearance at the 2012 Olympics, both for public displays and to form part of the BBC’s archive footage.

The director of the BBC’s 2012 Olympics coverage Roger Mosey was present at Wednesday’s broadcast.

He told BBC News: “You’re not going to have it in your living room in 2012, but we think it’s so good we really want people to see it.

“We’d love to capture some of the 2012 Olympics in Super Hi-Vision and also have some test screens where people can go and watch it.”

This article is from the BBC News website. © British Broadcasting Corporation, The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.