Uncle jailed for murdering niece

Tia RiggTia Rigg was found by police at the house on 3 April

A man obsessed with rape, torture and child abuse has admitted murdering his 12-year-old niece.

John Maden lured Tia Rigg to his home in Cheetham Hill, north Manchester, on the pretext of babysitting – but drugged and killed her.

He then called police himself and was “chillingly calm” when officers arrived, Manchester Crown Court heard.

Maden, 37, who is the brother of Tia’s mother Lynne Rigg, pleaded guilty before the start of his trial.

The court heard that Maden had become obsessed with violent pornography and images of child abuse that he had downloaded from the internet.

Gordon Cole QC, prosecuting, said: “In general terms this murder was premeditated.

“It was murder purely for his sexual gratification – it had a sexual motive. The facts reveal clearly features of torture, rape, physical abuse and the ultimate murder of a child.”

Mr Cole said Maden had developed an “obsessive interest” in images and literature relating to paedophilia, rape and torture.

“He had an extensive library of such materials which included literature dealing with methods of killing,” he told the court.

The hearing continues.

This article is from the BBC News website. © British Broadcasting Corporation, The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.

Japan issues Europe terror alert

A soldier patrols near the Eiffel Tower in Paris (4 Oct 2010)The Eiffel Tower was evacuated twice in September

The Japanese government has issued a terror alert to its citizens in Europe, following similar warnings from the UK and USA.

The foreign ministry in Tokyo urged people to exercise caution when using public transport or visiting tourist sites.

Security sources warned last week of potential plots on the scale of the Mumbai attacks in 2008.

US authorities have cited France, Germany and the UK as possible targets.

The US state department said on Sunday that a “variety of means and weapons” might be used against official and private interests.

The British Foreign Office said that there was a “high threat” of attack in France and Germany and the government said the threat level in the UK remained at severe.

French officials said there was no reason to raise the current red alert status to scarlet.

Europe map

In recent weeks, the Eiffel Tower in Paris has twice been evacuated because of bomb threats.

Police say a man has been arrested south-west of the city on suspicion of issuing bomb threats.

Tourists continued to queue at the base of the Eiffel Tower on Monday and a small number of soldiers patrolled the area as usual.

In Italy, Interior Minister Roberto Maroni said the threat level remained high and security forces were watching the situation closely.

This article is from the BBC News website. © British Broadcasting Corporation, The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.

Currency exchange firm collapses

CurrencyConsumers could pre-order foreign currency up to a year in advance

Thousands of people face uncertainty over travel money after an exchange firm went into administration.

Crown Currency Exchange, one of the UK’s biggest foreign exchange websites, has collapsed – blaming the downturn in the travel market.

Administrators MCR said that an estimated 13,000 consumers would be directly affected.

These people should not expect an early resolution in the case and a quick return of money, administrators said.

The business, based in Hayle in Cornwall, was established by husband and wife Peter and Susan Benstead five years ago.

It allowed individuals and business customers to pre-order foreign exchange at a set price up to a year in advance, with amounts of between £300 and £10,000 available.

“We fully appreciate the difficult position in which many [customers] will now find themselves in”

Paul Clark Administrator

But its bank accounts were frozen by Barclays at the weekend, barring it from withdrawing or transmitting any money to customers.

And administrators from MCR and SPW were appointed on Monday.

They said the business had processed hundreds of millions of pounds worth of foreign currency in the last five years, providing travel money in 80 different currencies, as well as travellers’ cheques and money transfers.

“Like many operators in the travel sector, it has experienced a difficult trading environment during the course of the past 12 months which has been exacerbated by a further downturn and general tightening of the travel market,” said administrator Paul Clark, of MCR.

The administrators are contacting all those affected to advise them on their individual situation, but these people could also contact the company.

“I have no doubt that they will be understandably concerned about their own position and we recommend that they contact the company directly,” Mr Clark said.

“We fully appreciate the difficult position in which many will now find themselves in – many in the build-up to holidays or business trips, as well as money transfers associated with second home purchases. However the administration process is in its early days and we cannot guarantee an early resolution for those looking for a quick return of their money.”

This article is from the BBC News website. © British Broadcasting Corporation, The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.

Big crowds cheer Europe Ryder win

Miguel Angel Jimenez of Europe walks down the 18th hole with Peter HansonEurope leads USA as the record fourth day of the tournament begins

The 2010 Ryder Cup begins a fourth day for the first time in its history after rain caused more play delays on Sunday.

It is the first time in 83 years that the tournament, played every two years, has ended on Monday.

Spectators with Sunday tickets are being allowed back into Celtic Manor near Newport, but some fans have already had to travel home.

People with Friday tickets may be able to exchange them for free entry to the Wales Open next June, organisers say.

RYDER CUP PLANS FOR MONDAYOnly fans with tickets for Sunday will be admitted on Monday, with matches starting at 09.05No tickets will be sold on MondayThe west park and ride at Tredegar Park will be closedThe east park and ride at Llanwern (off M4 Jct 23a) will be open from 0600, to all park and ride ticket holdersA shuttle bus will operate to the course from Newport stationSource: Ryder Cup Europe

Russell Phillips, vice-president of the Celtic Manor resort, said the venue was restricting access to Sunday tickets on safety grounds on Monday as it was not known how many would turn up if Friday ticket holders were allowed in as well.

He told BBC Wales: “Then we would get slaughtered if we suddenly had to shut the gates halfway through the day because there were too many people in the course and it’s getting dangerous.”

He confirmed that organisers were hoping to offer an alternative to Friday ticket holders.

He said: “We’re hoping we can do something around (the) Wales Open, where people will be able to exchange their tickets to get into (the) Wales Open.”

Europe lead the US by three points as the fourth day of play gets under way.

Europe's Rory McIlroy, left, and Graeme McDowell smile on the third day of the 2010 Ryder CupEurope’s Rory McIlroy, left, and Graeme McDowell smile on the third day of the 2010 Ryder Cup

Many fans have already left Wales for home because they had fixed travel arrangements.

One, Constant Priondolo, from Quebec, Canada, said he would loved to have come back on Monday

“I would love to but I’ve got to go back to work.

“Unfortunately, I’m probably going to miss the matches.”

But another supporter, Alan Gordon from Scotland, said he would be staying for the conclusion and he thought a lot of other fans would too.

“I think there will still be a good support, a good atmosphere for the European team.

“The earlier it is the less chance there is of bad weather but money talks in golf”

Rhodri Morgan Former First Minister

“Obviously you can get back to Scotland. but getting back to the States is obviously a different kettle of fish,” he added.

Sir Terry Matthews, the billionaire businessman and owner of the Celtic Manor resort, said everyone involved was “deeply disappointed by the weather”.

A total of 52.2mm (2.04 ins) of rain fell at Celtic Manor between 1730 BST on Thursday and 1000 on Sunday, more than half the average monthly rainfall.

But he defended the timing of the event, which has been moved from September to October:

“We could have played this event exactly one year ago or exactly one week ago and we would have experienced no interruptions to the schedule of play, but one thing we cannot control is the weather.

Former First Minister Rhodri Morgan said Celtic Manor deserved to be remembered fondly by the golf fans as its “natural vantage points” allowed spectators to see what golf was being played.

He said: “The Americans did insist on moving [the tournament] forward one week in to October and the risk is always increased.”

“The earlier it is the less chance there is of bad weather but money talks in golf.

“They were warned the longer you leave it, the less sunlight that you’ve got, the less daylight you’ve got to play around with the times. And they decided to take that chance.”

This article is from the BBC News website. © British Broadcasting Corporation, The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.

Dutch MP Wilders goes on trial

Geert WildersMr Wilders denies the charges of inciting hatred and discrimination against Muslims

The Dutch anti-Islamist MP Geert Wilders is to go on trial in Amsterdam on charges of inciting racial hatred against Muslims.

If found guilty, Mr Wilders could face up to a year in jail or a fine of up to 7,600 euros ($10,000).

The controversial politician is set to become a shadow partner of the next coalition government.

He claims that he has said nothing offensive.

Mr Wilders will stand trial on five charges of inciting hatred and discrimination against Muslims, including calling Islam fascist and likening the Koran to Hitler’s Mein Kampf.

Prosecutors say Mr Wilders committed the offences in his 17-minute film Fitna, which has sparked protests across the Muslim world.

He campaigns for a stop to Muslim immigration to the Netherlands, a ban on the construction of new mosques, and a tax on headscarves.

Mr. Wilders was refused entry to Britain last year, after being invited to show his film in the House of Lords.

Due to numerous death threats, he is always surrounded by bodyguards.

Mr Wilders says his mission to stop the islamisation of the Netherlands.

The judgement is expected on 4 November.

This article is from the BBC News website. © British Broadcasting Corporation, The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.

Iraq revises oil reserves up 24%

Iraqi Oil Minister Hussein al-Shahristani Mr al-Shahristani said he expected the figure to increase even further

Iraq has raised the level of its proven oil reserves by 24% in its first revision since Saddam Hussein fell from power.

The republic has 143.1bn barrels of known and extractible oil, up from the $115bn barrels that prevailed under the later years of Saddam Hussein.

If correct, it means that Iraq has overtaken neighbouring Iran.

In the Saddam era, sanctions and political isolation meant little new exploratory work was undertaken.

However, since he was toppled in 2003, Iraq has issued two rounds of international oil licences, and launched a big step-up in exploration efforts in the last two years.

Announcing the new figures, the Iraqi oil minister, Hussein al-Shahristani, said he expected “other increases of even these fixed reserves” as further exploration yields more results.

He also said that Iraq would now officially inform the Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries (Opec) of its findings, so that the new reserves figure can obtain international recognition.

Iraq is currently exempt from Opec quotas, and in any case only exports about two million barrels per day – well short of its target of more than 10 million barrels.

This article is from the BBC News website. © British Broadcasting Corporation, The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.

Higher earners lose child benefit

Chancellor George Osborne

George Osborne: “When we’re asking so much of so many people across society I think it is a fair measure”

Child benefit is to be axed for higher rate taxpayers from 2013, Chancellor George Osborne has announced.

Talking on BBC One’s Breakfast ahead of his appearance at the Conservative party conference, he said the move would save about £1bn.

“It’s a big decision for us, but we think it’s absolutely necessary and fair given the financial situation we face,” he said.

Parents earning over about £44,000 who pay 40% tax and above will be affected.

It is estimated the change will affect about 15% – 1.2m – families.

Mr Osborne said: “It’s very hard to justify taxing people on much lower incomes in order to pay the child benefit to some of the better off in our society.”

He confirmed the cut would hit homes with a single or two high earners. But families with two parents on modest incomes – which might add up to over £44,000 – will keep the benefit.

He defended this by saying his plan was “the most straightforward” option – which avoided means testing.

Currently child benefit is paid to all families with children.

Mr Osborne said he expected the public to accept that it was not fair to tax someone earning £18,000 a year to pay child benefit to someone earning £50,000.

‘In it together’

“It’s not a decision we’ve taken lightly, but given the scale of the debts Labour’s left us with, and given they’ve left us with no plan and we’ve had to come up with proposals, we think this is fair.

“It means we’re all in this together. Each part of society is going to be making a contribution”

At the moment, parents are paid £20.30 a week for the eldest child and £13.40 for subsequent children, with payments continuing until the age of 19 for those in full-time education.

“I understand these people are not super-rich, but we have to make sure that we’re all in this together”

Mr Osborne announced in June in the Budget that the child benefit will be frozen for three years.

Send your pictures and videos to [email protected] or text them to 61124 (UK) or 0044 7725 100 100 (International). If you have a large file you can upload here.

Read the terms and conditions

At no time should you endanger yourself or others, take any unnecessary risks or infringe any laws. In most cases a selection of your comments will be published, displaying your name as you provide it and location unless you state otherwise. But your contact details will never be published.

This article is from the BBC News website. © British Broadcasting Corporation, The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.

Two line high-speed rail backed

Concept image of high-speed trainConsultation begins on the London to Birmingham line next year

The government will back plans for high-speed rail links to Manchester and Leeds, Transport Secretary Philip Hammond has said.

The planned new 250mph rail route between London and Birmingham aims to cut journey time to 49 minutes.

North of Birmingham, ministers prefer plans for two lines – one to Manchester and one via the East Midlands and South Yorkshire.

Mr Hammond said plans would “transform the economy” in north-east England.

In his speech to the Conservative Party conference in Birmingham, Mr Hammond said consultation would begin in the New Year on the preferred route of the London to Birmingham leg of the rail network – the government has already set up a compensation scheme for homeowners and businesses whose properties are affected.

But he announced that ministers’ preferred option for the link north of Birmingham would be for two separate corridors.

One would go direct to Manchester, which would connect to the west coast mainline, and the other via the East Midlands and South Yorkshire, with stations in both areas, which would connect to the east coast mainline north of Leeds.

The so-called “y-option” will be the government’s preferred option over an s-shaped line crossing the Pennines.

Mr Hammond said the scheme – estimated to cost £33bn – would “make rail the mode of choice for most inter-city journeys within the UK, and for many beyond” and would change “the economic and social geography of Britain, connecting our great population centres and our international gateways together”.

He said it would help “rebalance economies” that the government believed had become too dependent on the public sector – by encouraging business investment in regions which have been considered too far away from London.

“By creating a smaller Britain, where literally journey times from Leeds to London will be about 80 minutes, we change the geography, we change the way people think and we change the opportunities that are available.”

He added: “This great connectivity is fantastic news for the North East and other regions and will transform the economy, I have no doubt about that at all.

This article is from the BBC News website. © British Broadcasting Corporation, The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.