Paternity leave rules take effect

Man with babyThe coalition has pressed ahead with the changes first proposed by the previous government
Related Stories

New paternity leave rules have come into effect meaning that parents will be legally entitled to share time off work during their baby’s first year.

The move means parents could take six months off work each.

The government hopes to extend the measures with a fully flexible system of shared parental leave in 2015.

However, the Federation of Small Businesses said a one-size-fits-all approach did not work and added to the administrative burden on small firms.

Earlier this year Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg outlined plans to press ahead with changes, first proposed by the previous government.

The new rules mean a man will gain the right to additional paternity leave and pay. The rules also cover adoption.

Additional paternity leave (APL) will allow an employee to take up to 26 weeks’ leave to care for the child, on top of two weeks of ordinary paternity leave.

This can only be taken 20 or more weeks after the child’s birth or placement for adoption, and once the mother has returned to work from statutory maternity or adoption leave or ended her entitlement.

The rate is £128.73 a week, or 90% of average weekly earnings.

To qualify, the father must have been on a continuous contract with his employer for at least 26 weeks by the end of the 15th week before the baby is due.

This article is from the BBC News website. © British Broadcasting Corporation, The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.

Afghan Koran protests spreading

Demonstrators in Jalalabad burn effigy of President Obama (3 April 2011)Demonstrators in Jalalabad chanted anti-American slogans and burned an effigy of President Obama
Related Stories

Hundreds of demonstrators have marched through the streets of the Afghan cities of Kandahar and Jalalabad in new protests at the burning of a Koran in the US last month.

It comes after 14 people, including seven UN staff, were killed in violence after similar protests on Friday.

US President Barack Obama described the killings as “outrageous” and the Koran burning as “intolerance and bigotry”.

Ten people died following protests in Kandahar on Saturday.

Dozens more were injured.

On Sunday, demonstrators in Kandahar city – the birthplace of the Taliban – marched on the main UN office. There were also reports of smaller protests in two other districts of Kandahar province.

The protests have now spread to the eastern city of Jalalabad, where hundreds of protesters peacefully blocked a main road for three hours on Sunday.

“No religion tolerates the slaughter and beheading of innocent people”

US President Barack Obama

The crowd shouted for US troops to leave Afghanistan and burnt an effigy of Mr Obama, according to an Associated Press photographer at the scene.

The UN’s chief envoy to Afghanistan, Staffan de Mistura, blamed Friday’s violence in the northern city of Mazar-e Sharif on the Florida pastor who burnt the Koran on 20 March.

“I don’t think we should be blaming any Afghan,” Mr de Mistura said. “We should be blaming the person who produced the news – the one who burned the Koran. Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from offending culture, religion, traditions.”

The UN would temporarily re-deploy 11 staff members to Kabul while their office in Mazar-e Sharif was rebuilt, he said, but there would be no evacuation.

Mr de Mistura insisted that Friday’s attack “should not deter the UN presence, activities in this country in this delicate and particularly crucial period”.

In a statement published on Saturday evening, Mr Obama extended his condolences to the families of those killed by the protesters in Afghanistan.

“The desecration of any holy text, including the Koran, is an act of extreme intolerance and bigotry,” he said. “However, to attack and kill innocent people in response is outrageous, and an affront to human decency and dignity.

Terry Jones and Wayne Sapp (10 September 2011)Pastor Terry Jones (L) said and Wayne Sapp (R) did not feel responsible for the attack on the UN

The controversy began in Florida on 20 March, when Pastor Wayne Sapp soaked a Koran in kerosene, staged a “trial” during which the Islamic holy book was found guilty of “crimes against humanity”, and then set it alight.

The incident took place under the supervision of Pastor Terry Jones, who last year drew condemnation over his aborted plan to burn copies of the Koran on the anniversary of the 11 September 2001 attacks on the US.

Map of Afghanistan

The authorities in both Kandahar and Mazar-e Sharif have blamed the Taliban for the violence. However, the Taliban has rejected the accusation.

Pastor Jones has said that the Dove World Outreach Center’s congregation does not “feel responsible” for the attack.

Witnesses said the protest in Mazar-e Sharif, which began outside the central Blue Mosque after Friday prayers, began peacefully but suddenly turned violent.

The crowds moved to outside the UN compound, where a small group broke away.

Several demonstrators were killed by guards at the compound, who were then overpowered by the mob.

Munir Ahmad Farhad, a spokesman for the governor of Balkh province, said the group seized weapons from the guards and stormed the building. Four Nepalese guards, a Norwegian, a Romanian and a Swede were killed.

This article is from the BBC News website. © British Broadcasting Corporation, The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.

French take over Abidjan airport

Breaking news

French troops have taken over the airport in Ivory Coast’s main city, Abidjan, the AFP news agency reports.

France is also sending an extra 300 soldiers to Ivory Coast, military spokesman Thierry Burkhard told AFP.

Fighting has raged in Abidjan since Thursday night as forces loyal to the UN-recognised president, Alassane Ouattara, are battling those of his rival, the incumbent Laurent Gbagbo.

More than 1,500 foreigners are sheltering in a French army camp.

Heavy artillery fire has been heard in Abidjan as the two sides fought for key sites including the presidential palace, the headquarters of state TV and the Agban military base.

Four UN soldiers were seriously wounded by Mr Gbagbo’s forces on Saturday.

Wounded soldiers loyal to Mr Ouattara were seen being rushed to a hospital outside the city, while confident-looking reinforcements headed the other way.

Special forces troops loyal to Mr Gbagbo fired a rocket-propelled grenade at a UN armoured personnel carrier, seriously wounding four peacekeepers carrying out a humanitarian mission, the UN said.

This article is from the BBC News website. © British Broadcasting Corporation, The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.

Black poet ‘axed from leaflets’

Benjamin ZephaniahBenjamin Zephaniah urges people to “make everyone’s vote count” by backing AV
Related Stories

Voting reform campaigners have been accused of “airbrushing” black poet Benjamin Zephaniah out of leaflets sent to some areas of the country.

The “Yes to AV” campaign used his picture on literature used in London but featured another supporter – the actor Tony Robinson – in other parts of the UK, the Sunday Telegraph reports.

The “No” campaign said its rival was “ashamed” of the poet’s backing.

But the “Yes” campaign called the allegation “a new low”.

It said it varied the celebrity backers featured on its leaflets as there were “a number” to accommodate.

Yes to AV’s literature urges people to support a switch from first-past-the-post Westminster elections to an alternative vote in the nationwide referendum to be held on 5 May.

Celebrities Joanna Lumley, Eddie Izzard, Colin Firth, Honor Blackman and Stephen Fry appear on both sets of leaflets shown by the Sunday Telegraph.

The referendum choice

At the moment MPs are elected by the first-past-the-post system, where the candidate getting the most votes in a constituency is elected.

On 5 May all registered UK voters will be able to vote yes or no on whether to change the way MPs are elected to the alternative vote system.

Under the alternative vote system, voters rank candidates in their constituency in order of preference.

Anyone getting more than 50% of first-preference votes is elected.

If no-one gets 50% of votes, the candidate with the fewest votes is eliminated and their backers’ second choices allocated to those remaining.

This process continues until one candidate has at least 50% of all votes in that round.

Q&A: alternative vote referendum What is the alternative vote? AV poll: Where parties stand

In London a picture of Mr Zephaniah is reportedly included, with the poet quoted demanding an electoral system that “makes everyone’s vote count”.

But in near-identical leaflets, reportedly sent to locations including Sussex and Cornwall, he is apparently replaced by Mr Robinson, the star of the BBC comedy Blackadder and the Channel 4 archaeology show Time Team.

Terry Paul, a spokesman for the NO to AV campaign, said: “Why are Yes to AV ashamed to have the support of Benjamin Zephaniah in places like Cornwall and Hampshire?

“The Yes campaign’s leaflet offers a chilling preview of politics under the alternative vote.

“We have warned that AV would encourage parties to pander to extremist opinions in a chase for second and third preference votes, but we never imagined the first example of such outdated views would come from the Yes campaign itself.”

A Yes campaign spokesman said: “These allegations mark a new low for the ‘No’ campaign and their increasingly desperate smears.

“Let’s put it this way: Operation Black Vote, the Muslim Council of Britain and a host of similar groups are backing the ‘Yes’ campaign. The BNP are backing the ‘No’ campaign. People can draw their own conclusions.”

This article is from the BBC News website. © British Broadcasting Corporation, The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.

Al Fayed defends Jackson statue‎

Michael Jackson Statue Unveiling - Craven CottageThe statue was commissioned following Jackson’s death in June 2009
Related Stories

Fulham chairman Mohammed Al Fayed has told fans they can “go to hell” if they do not appreciate a new Michael Jackson statue at Craven Cottage stadium.

Mr Al Fayed unveiled the statue on Sunday prior to the west London Premier League team’s match against Blackpool.

The statue was commissioned following Jackson’s death in June 2009 and was due to be erected at Harrods before Mr Al Fayed sold the Knightsbridge store.

“Why is it bizarre? Football fans love it,” he said after the unveiling.

“If some stupid fans don’t understand and appreciate such a gift they can go to hell.

“I don’t want them to be fans.

“If they don’t understand and don’t believe in things I believe in they can go to Chelsea, they can go to anywhere else,” he added.

Mr Al Fayed’s decision to relocate the statue of Jackson to Fulham’s stadium is likely to divide opinion.

The singer was a friend of Mr Al Fayed’s but his only known link to the football club is that he attended one game as a guest of the chairman, against Wigan Athletic in 1999.

But Mr Al Fayed said: “People will queue to come and visit it from all over the UK and it is something that I and everybody else should be proud of.”

Kit Symons, who played in the match Jackson attended in 1999 and is now under-18s manager at the Cottagers said: “It is great.

“We have the deepest respect for everything about the chairman. If he wants to do this then it is all good”

Brede Hangeland Fulham

“The big thing is it is obviously something that the chairman feels very, very passionately about and he has decided to erect this statue and fair dos to him.”

Reflecting on the time of Jackson’s visit, he added: “It was just happy times.

“The chairman obviously used to bring high profile people down the games.

“Tony Curtis was here a few weeks after and it was just fantastic times.”

Central defender Brede Hangeland said the decision to erect the statue was backed by the club’s players.

He said: “Some of our players are Michael Jackson fans, some aren’t, and that’s the same in the general population.

“His music has been on in the dressing room a couple of times. I’m sure we won when his music was played!

“We have the deepest respect for everything about the chairman. If he wants to do this then it is all good.”

This article is from the BBC News website. © British Broadcasting Corporation, The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.

Coalition to push NHS change case

HospitalSupporters say the plans will cut the level of NHS bureaucracy in England
Related Stories

Prime Minister David Cameron and deputy Nick Clegg are to make a renewed drive to promote planned changes to the NHS.

The coalition is also understood to be ready to introduce changes to the legislation when it returns to the House of Lords after May’s elections.

This follows mounting disquiet that ministers have failed to convince voters that change is necessary.

Labour called the coalition’s plans for the English NHS, which include ending primary care trusts, a “distraction”.

Ministers want to transfer much of the responsibility for buying and planning local services from the trusts to GPs working in consortia across the country.

Regional strategic health authorities are also to be phased out.

Opponents say the changes could lead to the “privatisation” of the NHS, but supporters say they will remove unnecessary bureaucracy.

The Sunday Telegraph reports that there could be a rebellion by Liberal Democrat peers when the Health and Social Care Bill goes through the House of Lords.

BBC political correspondent Norman Smith said that, among the likely changes to the legislation, there could be measures to outlaw the “cherry picking” of profitable NHS services by private health providers.

It is also thought GPs may be given longer to form themselves into consortia running their own budgets, beyond the April 2013 deadline.

For Labour, shadow communities secretary Caroline Flint told BBC One’s Politics Show: “This has been a complete distraction for 10 months [since the coalition was formed].

“It’s a kind of failure to listen to experts, even though they always say they want to listen to clinicians. It’s sad that 10 months have been wasted on this rather than making our NHS better.”

However, government sources pointed out that almost 90% of patients in England were already covered by GP practices which had joined consortia.

This article is from the BBC News website. © British Broadcasting Corporation, The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.

No stalemate in Libya, says Hague

RAF Tornado aircraft taking offSome 65% asked in a poll say the UK’s involvement in Libya “will last for some time”

The British public is split in its support for the military intervention in Libya, according to a nationwide poll conducted for the BBC.

Of 2,000 asked, 38% thought the UK and its allies were right to carry out air strikes, while 35% said it was the wrong decision.

And 65% said the UK’s involvement in Libya “will last for some time”.

The online poll of 2,011 respondents was conducted by ICM for Broadcasting House on BBC Radio 4, on 30-31 March.

The military action has full UN authority, and the government argues strongly that the attacks have stopped a massacre.

But in the BBC poll, only 38% said it was the “right decision” when asked: “All things considered, do you think that the UK and its allies made the right decision or the wrong decision to conduct military air strikes in Libya?”

This contrasts with the Iraq war in 2003, when a similar poll showed 53% backed military intervention.

In Iraq, the post-invasion bloodshed caused a dramatic drop in popularity for the action.

Pollsters say support for the Libya action will depend on if and when leader Colonel Muammar Gaddafi goes, the number of civilian casualties, and whether there are any British military deaths.

This article is from the BBC News website. © British Broadcasting Corporation, The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.

Cruz receives Walk of Fame star

Penelope CruzPenelope Cruz received the 2,436th Hollywood star which is located in front of the famous El Capitan Theatre
Related Stories

Oscar-winning actress Penelope Cruz has been honoured with a star on Hollywood’s Walk of Fame.

The 36-year-old called the unveiling “a very special day that I will always remember”.

The ceremony was also attended by Cruz’s husband, actor Javier Bardem, and friend and Pirates of the Caribbean co-star Johnny Depp.

Cruz is the first Spanish actress to receive a star, which is located in front of the El Capitan Theatre.

“Every time I look at that star, I will see the names of all the people that have helped me make many of my dreams a reality,” Cruz said.

The actress said when she first arrive in the US in 1994, she only knew how to say “How are you?” and “I want to work with Johnny Depp” in English.

The pair later starred together in the 2001 film Blow.

Depp paid tribute to Cruz at the ceremony, describing her as “a magnificent and magical woman”, adding it was “a pleasure to be able to be here to celebrate this curious Spanish creature”.

Cruz made her acting debut on TV when she was a teenager and began her feature film career in the 1992 movie Jamon Jamon, opposite Bardem.

She went on to star in films including Captain Corelli’s Mandolin, Vanilla Sky and Volver and won an Oscar for her performance in Woody Allen’s Vicky Christina Barcelona which also starred Bardem.

She will next be seen on screen opposite Depp in Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides which will be released in the UK in May.

This article is from the BBC News website. © British Broadcasting Corporation, The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.