Manchester United take a firm grip on the Champions League quarter-final against Chelsea as Wayne Rooney’s winner gives them a crucial first-leg advantage at Stamford Bridge.
This article is from the BBC News website. © British Broadcasting Corporation, The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.

Pc Simon Harwood is giving evidence for a third day
Related Stories
The police officer who pushed Ian Tomlinson at the G20 protests in London has been accused of making up “rubbish” and telling lies.
The Tomlinsons’ lawyer said Pc Simon Harwood was denying events clearly visible on video shown to the jury.
Pc Harwood told the inquest into the 47-year-old’s death Mr Tomlinson had not been moving away from the police line with his back turned towards him.
In his statement, he said Mr Tomlinson was “almost inviting” confrontation.
Pc Harwood, part of the Metropolitan Police’s specialist Territorial Support Group (TSG), was caught on film pushing the newspaper seller to the ground in Cornhill, central London, on 1 April 2009. Mr Tomlinson got back to his feet but collapsed and died minutes later.
The inquest jury, in London, watched the video again on Wednesday.
Matthew Ryder QC, for the Tomlinson family, asked Pc Harwood: “Do you agree he had his back to you? We’re all here in this room looking at the video.”
Mr Tomlinson was filmed moments before he died on 1 April 2009
Pc Harwood replied: “No.”
Mr Ryder said: “You’re lying Pc Harwood, I suggest, and you know it.”
To that, Pc Harwood said: “No. I’m just trying to help.”
The officer maintained that “from his angle” it had appeared Mr Tomlinson had not been moving away, which Mr Ryder said was “rubbish” and “absurd”.
Members of Mr Tomlinson’s family walked out in tears after hearing the policeman’s denials.
Pc Harwood who has been giving evidence for three days, has already apologised to the Tomlinson family for “any way” he may be responsible for the death.
He has admitted Mr Tomlinson was no threat to him or his colleagues before he hit him with a baton and pushed him.
Mr Tomlinson, who was not a demonstrator and had been selling newspapers in nearby Fish Street Hill, was on his way home when he encountered the protests.
On Wednesday, the officer was challenged over claims in his statement that the father-of-nine had been inviting the confrontation and his push had been just a “gesture”.
“He (Mr Tomlinson) just looked as if he was going to stay where he was whatever and was almost inviting physical confrontation in terms of being moved on,” the statement said.
Mr Ryder asked: “Is that true, Pc Harwood?”
The officer replied: “Yes”.
Pc Harwood has been told he will not face any criminal prosecutions over what happened – but he is still facing a Met Police misconduct hearing, due to take place after this inquest.
The inquest, which is sitting at the International Dispute Resolution Centre in Fleet Street, is examining the actions of police, the pathologist and independent investigators.
This article is from the BBC News website. © British Broadcasting Corporation, The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.

Mrs Case was stabbed and her two daughters probably smothered, the inquest heard
Related Stories
A man suspected of killing his wife and two daughters may have been taking anti-smoking medication with possible anger side effects, an inquest heard.
Andrew Case, 33, was found dead along with wife Vicki, 31, and their two girls Nereya, one, and Phoebe, two, at their home in Fordingbridge, Hampshire.
The inquest heard Mr Case had been prescribed 28 anti-smoking Champix tablets before the deaths last year.
It was told they could have possible depression and anger side effects.
Mr Case was dispensed a further 56 tablets by a chemist on 23 July last year, the day the family had returned from a week-long holiday to Weymouth, Dorset.
The inquest heard the original prescription packet was found empty in the house and only 28 of the extra tablets were found.
Three days after the family returned from the holiday, Mrs Case was found lying on her back on the living room floor with the two girls on either side of her.
She appeared to be embracing the two girls, who have been described by family members as “little angels”, the Southampton inquest heard.
A blanket had been placed over them.
Mrs Case had died of “catastrophic” bleeding caused by two large knife wounds to her neck and chest and the two girls had probably been smothered, the inquest heard.
Mr Case was found hanging on the staircase of the semi-detached house, which was neat with no signs of disturbance.
Their bodies were found by Mrs Case’s mother Linda Haskell, 57, who went around to the house when she had not been able to contact the family since the Saturday.
Mrs Haskell ran from the scene shouting “They’re all dead – my babies are dead”, alerting neighbours who contacted police.
The inquest continues.
This article is from the BBC News website. © British Broadcasting Corporation, The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.

The two victims of the air strike have not yet been named
Related Stories
The Sudanese government says Israel carried out an air strike on a car near the city of Port Sudan on the Red Sea coast which killed its two passengers.
Earlier, police said a missile had probably come from the direction of the Red Sea. Some sources suggest two helicopters could have been involved.
The car, said to be a Hyundai Sonata, was hit about 15km (nine miles) south of Port Sudan on Tuesday.
There was no immediate word on the identity of the two victims.
The accusation against Israel was made by Sudan’s Foreign Minister Ali Ahmad Karti on Wednesday.
“We have indications that the attack was carried out by Israel. We are absolutely sure of this,” Mr Karti told reporters in the capital Khartoum. He was quoted by the AFP news agency.
So far no-one has claimed to have carried out the attack.
Analysis
Reports of the incident are contradictory and much remains speculation.
Nonetheless it looks as though this attack could be one more reminder of the shadowy war that is being waged along Sudan’s Red Sea coast. The intelligence-gathering is constant. Engagements though are few and far between.
The struggle pits the Israeli military against well-organised arms smugglers seeking to get weaponry into the Gaza Strip.
Of course Israel is not the only country potentially responsible for the missile attack. The US too on occasion has fired missiles at alleged terror targets in Sudan.
But this attack against individuals who were clearly considered specific targets suggests a complex intelligence-driven operation. It could well have countering arms-smuggling as its goal.
“We heard three loud explosions,” a source at Port Sudan airport told Reuters news agency.
“Eyewitnesses told us they saw two helicopters which looked like Apaches flying past.”
The car had been travelling into the city from the airport, one Sudanese official said.
In 2009 the Sudanese authorities said a convoy of arms smugglers was hit by unidentified aircraft in Sudan’s eastern Red Sea state.
There was speculation at the time that the strike may have been carried out by Israel to stop weapons bound for Gaza.
The then Israeli Prime Minister, Ehud Olmert, appeared to give credence to an Israeli hand in that attack, saying “we operate everywhere where we can hit terror infrastructure – in close places and in places further away”.
Israel has not commented on the latest incident.
The BBC’s James Copnall in Sudan says Hamas, the group which controls the Gaza Strip, is on good terms with Khartoum.
There has been an uneasy peace in eastern Sudan for several years, following one of Sudan’s many civil wars.
But the region is very underdeveloped, even by Sudanese standards, and there are fears about increased illegal activity there, our correspondent says.
This article is from the BBC News website. © British Broadcasting Corporation, The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.

President Obama met with House Speaker John Boehner on Tuesday to discuss the budget
Related Stories
Talks are intensifying on Capitol Hill as congressional negotiators attempt to reach an agreement over federal spending cuts in order to avoid a looming government shutdown.
Democratic Senator Chuck Schumer said on Wednesday “a glimmer of hope” existed following late-night talks.
But without a budget deal, parts of the US government will shut down on Friday.
The White House said President Barack Obama could hold a second meeting with lawmakers on Wednesday.
House Speaker John Boehner and Mr Obama met on Tuesday in an effort to craft a budget deal that could cut $33bn (£20bn) from this year’s budget against last year’s spending levels and ensure the government does not shut down when the most recent stop-gap measure expires at midnight on Friday.
In remarks after that meeting, Mr Obama said his administration and House Republicans were closer than they had ever been to coming to an agreement.
The White House was said on Wednesday morning to be assessing any progress lawmakers made during late-night talks between Senate Democrats and House Republicans before holding a second meeting on Wednesday.
Mr Schumer, the Senate’s number three Democrat, told US media on Wednesday morning that “some progress was made” in negotiations with House Republicans on Tuesday.
“We’ve met the other side more than half way” at $33bn (£20bn) in proposed cuts, he added.
Negotiations have stalled over legislation to fund the day-to-day operations of US federal agencies to the end of the fiscal year on 30 September.
Republicans, urged on by the anti-government Tea Party movement, are calling for far greater spending cuts than Democrats are willing to concede.
Meanwhile, Democrats have accused Republicans of linking social policy agendas to the bill, and say the size of the cuts Republicans demand would hinder the nascent US economic recovery.
Mr Obama is scheduled to head to the state of Pennsylvania for a town hall meeting on energy security on Wednesday at 1230 local time (1730GMT).
But a meeting with “Congressional leaders on the budget is still possible,” White House spokesman Dan Pfeiffer said in a message on the micro-blogging website Twitter.
This article is from the BBC News website. © British Broadcasting Corporation, The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.

Related Stories
Police in Northern Ireland investigating the murder of Constable Ronan Kerr have arrested a man in Scotland over a significant arms find.
Mr Kerr, 25, was killed when a car bomb exploded in Omagh on Saturday.
Police have said the arrest is linked to a “very significant arms” find in the Coalisland area of east Tyrone.
The weapons included four rifles, detonators, component parts for rocket launchers and explosives including what may be the plastic explosive Semtex.
Speaking at a press conference at police head quarters in Belfast Assistant Chief Constable Drew Nelson said the man was arrested in West Dunbartonshire and brought back to Northern Ireland.
He said the weapons were found inside stolen cars in a garage at Mountjoy Road in Coalisand.
ACC Nelson said the find was “the most significant in recent years”.
Police said the items were being “fast-tracked for forensic examination” and formed one line of inquiry in the Ronan Kerr murder investigation.
This article is from the BBC News website. © British Broadcasting Corporation, The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.

Troops loyal to Alassane Ouattara have surrounded the presidential residence
Forces opposed to Ivory Coast leader Laurent Gbagbo have launched a final assault on the presidential residence where he is holed up.
Mr Gbagbo has been in negotiations with the UN over the terms of his departure, after being besieged by troops loyal to his rival Alassane Ouattara.
A French government source said gunfire had erupted at Mr Gbagbo’s residence in Abidjan.
Mr Gbagbo insists he won last November’s run-off vote.
But the Ivorian election commission found that Mr Ouattara was the winner – a result certified by the UN.
Mr Gbagbo and his family are believed to be sheltering in the bunker of the presidential residence, which was controlled by his troops.
Two days of heavy fighting stopped late on Tuesday and negotiations with Mr Gbagbo carried on throughout the night.
But by Wednesday morning it appeared the patience of pro-Ouattara forces had run out.
“We are going to get Laurent Gbagbo out of his hole and hand him over to the president of the Republic,” said Sidiki Konate, spokesman of Mr Ouattara’s prime minister, Guillaume Soro.
At the scene
Laurent Gbagbo, cornered in a presidential bunker and faced with the defection of his generals, had been trying to negotiate his way out of trouble.
His surrender seemed imminent. “I want to live,” he told French television.
But over the past few hours we have heard the boom of heavy artillery in the city and confirmation that Mr Gbagbo’s residence is being stormed.
A negotiated ending might have helped ease tensions in this bitterly divided country. Now there is the risk of greater instability.
Civilians still trapped in Abidjan say there has been sporadic gunfire across the city with pro-Gbagbo militias still on the streets and growing fears of revenge killings.
Affousy Bamba, a spokeswoman for troops backing Mr Ouattara, told Reuters news agency: “Yes they [Ouattara forces] are in the process of entering the residence to seize Gbagbo.
“They have not taken him yet, but they are in the process, they are in the building.”
A spokesman for Mr Ouattara said fighters had been given strict instructions not to harm Mr Gbagbo.
The BBC’s Andrew Harding near Abidjan says the UN wants Mr Gbagbo to leave unharmed in order not to destabilise the country further. Mr Gbagbo still has strong support, having won 46% of the vote in the election, he adds.
Mr Gbagbo had earlier denied he was surrendering, saying he was only negotiating a truce.
“I won the election and I’m not negotiating my departure,” he said.
“I find it absolutely incredible that the entire world is playing this… game of poker.”
The BBC’s John James outside Abidjan says with most of Mr Gbagbo’s forces having laid down their arms it is not clear how much resistance pro-Ouattara forces will face.
It feels like it is the “endgame” for Mr Gbagbo, he says.
French armed forces chief Adm Edouard Guillaud told Europe 1 radio that Mr Gbagbo had twice been on the point of stepping down – on 1 April and 4 April – before pulling back.
He said Mr Gbagbo had “no other choice” than surrender.
On Monday pro-Ouattara fighters launched a “final assault” and UN and French helicopters attacked Mr Gbagbo’s military installations in Abidjan saying its aim was to protect civilians.
Ivorian turmoil28 November: Incumbent Laurent Gbagbo and challenger Alassane Ouattara in election run-off2 December: Electoral commission announces that Ouattara has won3 December: Constitutional Council declaring Gbagbo the winner; UN says Ouattara was victor30 March: Pro-Ouattara forces enter the capital, Yamoussoukro4 April: UN launches air strikes on Gbagbo in main city, Abidjan5 April: Three generals negotiate Gbagbo’s surrender
Mark Doyle: Ouattara’s political tightrope
Following Tuesday’s ceasefire, the city passed a largely quiet night, apart from shootings blamed on gangs, but its population of four million remained indoors.
Civilians told the BBC they were very scared. Small groups have been walking out of the city with their hands raised in the air.
In other developments, the EU imposed fresh sanctions on Mr Gbagbo on Wednesday, banning the purchase of bonds from his “illegitimate government”.
Last November’s election was intended to reunite Ivory Coast which split in two following a northern rebellion in 2002.
The electoral commission pronounced Mr Ouattara the victor, but Ivory Coast’s Constitutional Council said Mr Gbagbo had won.
The US, the UN and the EU recognised Mr Ouattara as the winner, but both candidates had themselves sworn in as president and a stand-off ensued.
Skirmishes and battles between the rival forces have since taken place across Ivory Coast culminating in Mr Ouattara’s troops sweeping into Abidjan at the end of March.
Send your pictures and videos to [email protected] or text them to 61124 (UK) or +44 7725 100 100 (International). If you have a large file you can upload here.
Read the terms and conditions
This article is from the BBC News website. © British Broadcasting Corporation, The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.
