US urges Aristide to delay return

Jean-Bertrand Aristide at a press conference in January 2010Mr Aristide fled the country in 2004, but says he is ready to return from exile in South Africa
Related Stories

The US has urged Haiti’s former president Jean-Bertrand Aristide to delay his return from exile until after presidential elections on 20 March.

A State Department spokesman said it was up to Haiti to decide whether the former leader should be allowed home.

But he said a return before the election could be “destabilising”.

A spokesman for Mr Aristide said last Friday that he would return from South Africa “in a few days” but insisted the move was not related to the vote.

US State Department spokesman Mark Toner said that for Mr Aristide to return this week “could only be seen as a conscious choice to impact Haiti’s elections”.

“We would urge former President Aristide to delay his return until after the electoral process has concluded, to permit the Haitian people to cast their ballots in a peaceful atmosphere,” he added.

Speculation that Mr Aristide would attempt to come back to Haiti has grown since the surprise return in January of another former president, Jean-Claude “Baby Doc” Duvalier, after 25 years in exile.

Mr Aristide’s lawyer collected a Haitian passport for him last month, but said the former president wanted to dedicate himself to education not politics.

Mr Aristide, a former Catholic priest, was Haiti’s first democratically elected president, first coming to power in 1990 but serving only months before a coup removed him from office.

He returned in 1994, serving his term until 1996.

Mr Aristide was re-elected in 2000 but was forced from power in early 2004 after several months of political turmoil.

He was flown out of Haiti on a US plane, and for the last few years has been living in South Africa.

His party, Fanmi Lavalas, was barred from standing in the current election, allegedly due to technical errors in its application forms.

The delayed run-off election next Sunday is between the former First Lady Mirlande Manigat and the pop star Michel Martelly, also known as “Sweet Micky”.

The election campaign has been dogged by controversy.

The governing party candidate Jude Celestin was withdrawn from the race after international monitors found there had been widespread fraud in his favour in November’s first round.

This article is from the BBC News website. © British Broadcasting Corporation, The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *